52 Moments: Photo Print – #32 The Birth Of The Cove
$10.00 – $135.00
The Birth Of The Cove
Farm Land Becomes A Neighborhood
During the first half of the 1900’s, the area between U.S. 1 and the Intarcoastal waterway was mostly farms. Starting in the early 1950‘s the area was transformed into one of Deerfield Beach’s original neighborhoods.
Local builder Robert Sullivan began building white CBS homes with white tile roofs and terrazzo floors. He also was responsible for building the The Cove Shopping Center. Early tenants included Ed’s Hardware, a beauty parlor, Galdwell Drug Store and the dental offices of Dr, Charlie Butts and Dr. Joe Hill.
The primary local provider of building materials was Deerfield Builders Supply founded by Ed Dietrich Sr. As the neighborhood began to grow, DeMarco Homes from Boca Raton and Elliott Stinson also helped the area grow. By 1963, “The Cove” neighborhood was established.