52 Moments: Photo Print – #04 The Original Downtown
$10.00 – $135.00
The Original Downtown
The original center of commerce in Deerfield was located on Dixie Highway near what today is Hillsboro Boulevard. In the early 1900’s Saxon General Merchandise provided staples , hardware, gifts and more.
At that time it was no more than shell rock road approx 9’ wide. As it does now it faced the FEC railroad tracks on the west side. It consisted of 5 buildings as well as two hotels. The Pioneer Hotel was located on the south end of the shops and the Australian Hotel to the north. One of the stores was operated by E.M. Thomas. Mr. Thomas was Mr. J.D. Butler’s brother-in-law. Mr. Thomas served as the first post master in Deerfield appointed in 1898 and was also the FEC station master. Mr. Thomas also operated the Australian Hotel.